Shivani Thapa is one of most prominent news presenter, editor and director working in Nepal since more than 15 years. She also works as freelance Emcee on all most prominent national event making the event look professional and bestly presented. She has been working on many social sectors and is one of Top 100 Influential Women of Nepal.
We ask her few questions about her life and her career. Read to find out more about her.
- What are you most passionate about professionally? Personally?
– Do whatever I pursue with sincerity and perfection.
- What would you do even if you didn’t get paid to do it?
– It largely depends on the purpose and cause. If it is serving a noble purpose or serves the greater good, I eagerly extend a hand. However, professionalism demands one draw a line between work and social service.
- Can you share some of your life remembering moments?
– When children as young as 7 years old come over and say how much they appreciate my work.
- How long have you been working in your field?
– 14 years now.
- How does your education connect to your professional career? What about personal experiences?
– My academic background is Environment Science. I am a graduate in the field. Once I joined media, things changed and I instantly knew that journalism was the field I wanted to follow. So, it was after I joined Nepal Television that I took up national/ International courses and workshops in Mass Communications and Journalism. I strongly believe academics matter.
- Did you accidentally join this career or you choose from childhood?
– Yes, it was by accident that I joined the field. I had some 3 months time spare before my results. Giving into my Mother’s suggestions I applied for a vacancy for News Reader at Nepal Television. It took them sometime to call me, but once the audition happened there has been no looking back.
- What are your goals for next 10 years?
– Media and specially Journalism is a very dynamic field. There is always a new thing to learn. I see myself working for the News Room at Nepal Television for some more years.
- What was the biggest hurdle you faced when working for your career and how you overcame it?
– Myself. Once I realized my passion for mass communication I remained undecided for long. I came from a different academic field – which was equally lucrative and I had put in a lot of hard work.
- Your biggest failure?
– Don’t recall anything yet.
- Whom do you give all the credit for your success?
– My Mother first who always knows me better than myself. Then after, the list is long. Nevertheless, my family and my seniors have been very helpful in guiding me throughout. Besides, I myself have also worked very hard.
- What things build you? what are the qualities that all should have to be successful in their career?
– Faith, Confidence, Knowledge and Skills. Most of all, passion is fundamental. It takes you a long way.
- What is the biggest dream you have?
– To be able to contribute constructively in everything I pursue.
- What’s your biggest accomplishment which you can tell us till now?
– My ability to balance work, personal life at the same time pursue passion and enjoy work.
- What you suggest to youths who want to join in similar career as you?
– Foremost, understand the profession in-depth. Know what the profession demands and gives back to you. Equip yourself with all the fundamental skills, knowledge before you jump in. Do not haste. Take all the time to plan and prepare yourself.